Haghpat

Back to home


Haghpat 8: Dining Hall, Service Building (13). Outside the Monastery. Fourth Century Church remains (16)

Dining Hall, Service Building (13)

The 13th century Dining Hall at Haghpat is better preserved than that at Sanahin and is made of two square areas (rooms) divided by massive pillars and cross arches supporting the vaulted ceiling. The hall is incorporated into the defensive wall.

Next to it is a small structure from the same period, designed in the hazarashen style with a central dome supported by four wooden columns, with an open aperture at the center top of the roof.

Outside the Monastery

The Spring House (14) is about 75 meters beyond the eastern gate. The 1258 structure is triple-arched, with the center arch larger than the side ones, emphasizing the central axis of the structure. There are stone troughs along the back wall of the building for watering village cattle plus a water reservoir used by local residents. The vaulted composition is a result of the local climate: The cool and damp air inside is a good protection against the scorching midsummer sun and moderates the cold winter temperature.

Kusanats Anapat (St. Tiramair) (15) Church is in the village cemetery, 500 meters east and uphill of the complex. The exact date is unknown, but the design suggests that it is a 13th century building. The church is reached via the eastern gate and following the village road past the spring house.

The building is cruciform with a dome on an octagonal drum decorated with small trefoil arches. Three large khachkars (stone crosses) on its southern flank date to the late medieval period.

Fourth Century Church remains (16)

Inside the village (downhill) there are the remains of a 4th century church, considered the first Christian structure at Haghpat.