Matenadaran

Back to home


Matenadaran 2: The Building. Lower Statues. Upper Statues

The Building

The Matenadaran building (architect Mark Grigoryan) was completed in 1957. Construction of a new research wing (architect -Arthur Meschyan) will be completed in 2011.

Lower Statues

Statues of Mesrop Mashtots, Koriun (his pupil and biographer) along with a sculptural group representing the 36 letters of the Armenian alphabet (sculptor Ghukas Chubaryan) stand at the lower approach to the building. The inscription on the adjacent wall - «Ճանաչել զիմաստութիւն եւ զխրրատ, իմանալ զբանս հանճարոյ»,¦ "To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding" (Proverbs 1:2) is the first sentence translated and written in Armenian after the invention of the Armenian script. This script became a landmark in Christian Armenian culture.

Upper Statues

Flanking the entrance of the museum are sculptures of famous medieval scholars representing various areas of Armenian writing (from left to right):

1. Toros Roslin – 13th c. miniature
painter (sculptor A. Shahinian)
2. Grigor Tatevatsi – 14th-15th cc.
theologian, philosopher and master
teacher (sculptor A. Grigorian)
3. Anania Shirakatsi – 7th c.
mathematician, chronologist,
cosmologist (sculptor G. Badalian)
4. Movses Khorenatsi – 5th c.
historiographer (sculptor
Y. Vardanian)
5. Mkhitar Gosh – 12th-13th cc. legal
expert (sculptor Gh. Chubarian)
6. Frik – 13th c. poet (sculptor S.
Nazarian)

In the open-air arcade (right and left of the statues) are medieval khachkars from different parts of Armenia and stones with inscriptions and ornaments.

 


Text provided by the Mesrop Mashtots Institute of Ancient Manuscripts.
 

Share |