Back to home

Tatev 7: Arches, Khachkar (14). Grigor Tatevatsi Mausoleum(15). St. Grigor Lusavorich Church (16).

Arches, Khachkars (14)

The south wall of the cathedral holds the remains of arching and piers. The 1043 structure wrapped the southern wall of the cathedral, the western wall of St. Grigor church and part of the inner courtyard.

A number of fine khachkars (stone crosses) lay in the inner yard and on the south wall of the cathedral. Some are believed to be “school projects” by students of the original school and university.

Grigor Tatevatsi Mausoleum (15)

The small structure outside the church and immediately to the left of the entry is the 1787 Grigor Tatevatsi (1346-1409) mausoleum built over the grave of one of Armenia's most erudite and talented teachers, academicians, scientists and artists. Tatevatsi raised the university's level to a new height and his years were the most productive of the institution, contributing to the kingdom's culture and political strength.

An artist as well as philosopher, Tatevatsi created several miniatures for the 1297 Gospel, and is the subject of a rare portrait of the great teacher and his students in a 1449 miniature for “The Interpretation of David's Psalms”. His miniatures show a new style in Armenian art, with great detail and vivid color.

The mausoleum is built to resemble a church, with carved archways, roof and small dome. There are a row of khachkars lining the wall.

St. Grigor Lusavorich Church (16)

The 1295 church adjoins Poghos-Petros on its southern wall. According to history it replaces an older church that was built in the 9th century (commissioned by Prince Phillip and where he is buried). The western door is framed with thick cornice work and an oriental-style arch.

The church is a single nave hall type with a semicircular apse and vaulted roof, typical for the period. The apse (in the east end) has two cross-shaped windows and one circular window. The altar apron is decorated with geometric cross stitching, a nice touch for an otherwise restrained interior.

Original text edited and approved by the Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin